When you want to lose weight, you also want to get results quickly and continuously, however, that does not mean that you are losing weight in the right way. The ideal is to improve eating habits, exercise consistently and of course, reduce the number of calories consumed per day. However, there is one very important step that can be taken when looking to lose weight quickly, healthily, and sustainably. The answer could perhaps be in your cupboard, exactly in the drawer of your spices, it is nothing more and nothing less than turmeric. A magical spice that has gained great relevance and popularity in recent years.
This does not mean that you will lose weight effortlessly, but it will be a perfect complement to promoting weight loss in a natural, responsible and healthy way.
This may raise some doubts but if you are looking to lose weight naturally using turmeric, how to include it in your daily routine, and its many benefits, then you are in the right place.
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
Table of contents
What are the benefits of turmeric?
Turmeric has been studied for some years since its active compound, curcumin has great anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, antioxidant, immune system boosting, and anti-cancer properties. Therefore, the consumption of this root is normally used to treat and prevent numerous health conditions.
But let’s not forget one of the most important benefits of this tuber, and that is that turmeric benefits weight loss. This is one of its most popular uses, with numerous scientific backings. When it comes to the benefits of turmeric for weight loss, the most relevant are the following:
- It speeds up the metabolism. The metabolism is responsible for maintaining the health of our body in optimal conditions by burning a certain amount of calories while the body is in a resting state. Turmeric can accelerate our metabolism so that our body burns more calories at rest and thus lose weight naturally and healthily.
- It prevents metabolic syndrome. This disorder is closely linked to obesity because when you gain weight, a large amount of fat accumulates around the abdomen and this can significantly raise levels of cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar. Regular intake of turmeric prevents these changes and helps the body to maintain adequate levels of these factors.
- It helps prevent fat accumulation. The white adipose tissue of our body is the place where most fat accumulates in our body, which sooner or later translates into weight gain. Thanks to the main compound of turmeric, curcumin, the size of these tissues can decrease significantly, which will prevent fat cells from accumulating there.
- Improves digestion. Turmeric promotes digestion and good intestinal function. Its constant intake helps bowel movements occur regularly and at the same time, the intestine remains free of gas and inflammation.
- Prevents fatty liver. The proper functioning of the liver in our body is essential for weight loss. Turmeric helps the liver to perform its functions properly, either with digestion, metabolizing fats, or eliminating toxins. Fatty liver can cause us to gain more weight because the body is not functioning in the right way. Curcumin improves the function of this organ, causing it to efficiently detoxify and cleanse our bodies.
- It helps to maintain glucose levels. As we mentioned above, turmeric can prevent diseases such as diabetes, but not only that, it helps maintain stable blood sugar levels, which translates into minimizing the desire to eat food between meals.
How do you take turmeric for weight loss?
Turmeric can be found in the market in different presentations, it can be found in powder, like any other known spice, or in its natural form, as a root similar to ginger. It is also possible to find it in capsules already processed or in teabags. Any of the above options are effective in helping you lose weight, however, experts recommend using it grated in its natural form.
To increase its effectiveness, it is usually combined with other ingredients to favor its absorption, one of the most effective combinations is with black pepper, although it can also be combined with milk, ginger, lemon, and coconut oil.
Some of the alternatives to ingesting it effectively are the following:
Turmeric root tea
This is one of the most effective alternatives to obtain all the benefits offered by turmeric when looking to lose weight. In addition, it is one of the best ways to adapt to the strong flavor that this spice has, especially if we are not used to ingesting it frequently. The most advisable is to ingest them twice a day, keeping in mind that they should not be taken on an empty stomach.
It is prepared with fresh turmeric root, like any tea. To increase its effectiveness, a pinch of pepper or a teaspoon of coconut oil can be added.
It can be ingested every day or three to five times a week to see results. It will help us to accelerate metabolism, fight appetite, improve digestion and maintain a better mood.
Turmeric water for weight loss
Similar to the tea that is made with the root, turmeric water is very easy to prepare and include daily. The difference is that instead of using fresh root, turmeric powder is used and it is very quick to prepare.
To a glass of boiling water, you must add a teaspoon of the spice and a pinch of black pepper. You must stir very well and wait for it to cool. You can drink it immediately or accompany it cold with slices of lemon or orange. You do not need to drink it hot, you can drink it cold at any time of the day.
Green juices with turmeric for weight loss
Green juices are an excellent alternative that promotes weight loss and also helps detoxify the body. If they are combined with ingredients such as ginger, lemon, or turmeric, they become a very effective formula to burn fat effectively and accelerate metabolism.
It is necessary to remember that green juices are only a compliment, it is also necessary to have a balanced and healthy diet, as well as to do physical exercise at least three times a week. It is also necessary to emphasize that juices are not substitutes for any meal, they can be taken on an empty stomach (before breakfast), as a snack between meals, or after training, but always as a complement, never as a substitute.
Turmeric in capsules
Turmeric can also be found on the market as a dietary supplement. Whether in extracts or capsules, the latter is among the most recommended forms since they are manufactured from the power of this spice.
Ingesting 400 to 600 mg of turmeric in capsules at least three times a day helps accelerate metabolism, improves fat burning, and promotes thermogenesis, which will help our body slim down naturally.
Turmeric supplements can be found in the market accompanied by other ingredients that favor the absorption of curcumin, and thus, increase the benefits of turmeric for weight loss. Among the best options, the most common are the following:
- Turmeric capsules with ginger.
- Turmeric capsules with black pepper.
- Turmeric capsules with cayenne pepper and green tea.
It is important to highlight that according to each manufacturer, the form of intake and the consumption schedule may vary. It is best to take it under the supervision of a nutritionist or specialist to provide the appropriate recommendations, especially if you have any health condition that requires special attention.
How much turmeric should I take daily to lose weight?
Although there is no exact recommendation, which is scientifically proven about the ideal amount of turmeric to lose weight. The World Health Organization considers that ingesting a dose of 3mg of curcumin per kilogram of body weight is a safe dose for the body when looking to lose weight.
It should be noted that curcumin constitutes about 5% of turmeric, so a dose as mentioned above, would be approximately 60mg per kilogram of body weight.
The most advisable thing, as we have already mentioned, is that before ingesting a very high dose of turmeric, you should consult a doctor or a specialist who can indicate the dose according to our organism.
Turmeric is a magical spice and is considered by many a miraculous spice, especially when looking to lose weight quickly and naturally. Its intake must be done responsibly to obtain all its benefits at the time of losing weight. It is important to remember that if you want to take advantage of all the benefits of turmeric to lose weight, it should be ingested as a complement to our meals, never replace our food with turmeric.
In addition, you should consult with your doctor before taking it and accompany it with good eating habits and exercise at least three times a week, especially if you want to see results quickly.
Remember that no supplement, no matter how much it helps, can do the job alone. We must improve our habits to take advantage of the benefits of this spice and to improve our overall health.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?