In the last few years, more and more people are choosing a keto diet as a way to lose weight and get fit. But what is this diet all about? This is a diet low in carb, but high in fat, that helps your body reach ketosis – a state in which your body starts burning its own fat to get energy. it’s one of the healthiest ways to improve your metabolism and finally get rid of that stubborn fat. The reason why so many people choose keto is that you are allowed to eat tasty food and you’ll still be losing weight.
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
Table of contents
- Quality sleep is one of the most important factors for wellness including weight loss.
- If you have a disruptive sleep/wake cycle, chances are that you will gain significant weight.
- You should avoid food that has a lot of carbs or a lot of sugar.
- For best results, it may be a good idea to follow a diet plan, which will also make it easier for you because you won’t have to worry whether you’re doing it right or wrong.
How does the keto diet work?
Most people eat a lot of carbs daily and their body uses carbs and glucose as the main source to create energy. They can never lose fat because their body is constantly burning sugars from carbs that they consume regularly – it doesn’t even have a chance to burn the fat. The keto diet allows you to reverse this process and get the most out of it. When you eliminate carbs and sugars from your diet, your body doesn’t have another choice – it will start burning its own fat to get energy. That’s what makes this diet so powerful and effective. That process is called ketosis and you can reach it very quickly if you follow all the keto diet rules and don’t cheat. However, if you want to get the most out of it, you have to make sure that you stay in ketosis for a while and give your body a chance to get rid of stubborn fat.
Keto friendly foods and what to eat
The Keto diet is all about food that contains a lot of healthy fat and proteins. Unlike most other diets, you’ll never feel hungry while you’re on the keto diet and you won’t have to give up on your favorite food (except for sweets, although there’s a way to make them keto-friendly, as we will explain). Here is a list of things that will help you get fit and lose weight:
- Meat – You are allowed to eat almost any type of meat you like. You should eat it at least once a day, although you can eat it more often if you wish. So, you can choose between chicken, turkey, or even red meat. You won’t need to stay away from delicious steaks or tasty bacon, because, remember – they are high in fat, but low in carb, and that is what we are looking for.
- Eggs – No, you don’t have to eat oatmeal for breakfast. You can continue eating your favorite breakfast food, eggs, because they’re an excellent source of healthy fat and protein. They’re also a great way to start your day by fueling yourself with the energy to keep you going through the day.
- Fish – If you don’t want to eat meat every day, you can replace it with fish. Fish is a great source of Omega 3, which is essential for our health and energy. Just make sure that you choose fatty fish like salmon, tuna, or trout. There is a misconception that fatty foods will make you gain weight – researchers who studied the keto diet have proven that carbs and sugars are making you gain weight and not healthy fats.
- Dairy – You are allowed to eat dairy, but you should always opt for natural, unprocessed cheese. Some of the options include cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese or blue cheese. Also, the keto diet doesn’t prohibit drinking milk, but you should be careful with the quantities. Some milk in your coffee is okay, but drinking caffe lattes every day is not (they’re also filled with sugar).
- Natural fats – Most people fail with various diets because they prohibit everything – they don’t allow you to use butter or another source of healthy fat. That’s not the case here! You are allowed to use butter, cream, and healthy oils. That way, you will increase healthy fats, but you’ll also be able to cook delicious food. The best oils for the keto diet are coconut oil, avocado oil, and of course, olive oil, especially if it is extra virgin. Avocado is also an excellent source of healthy fats and you can consume it daily.
- Nuts – Nuts are also a great source of healthy fats. You can choose whatever you like, whether it’s almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, and so on. Don’t forget about seeds as well because they contain a lot of antioxidants. Just be careful not to exaggerate with the nuts because some of them are very caloric.
- Veggies – No, the keto diet isn’t only about animal protein and you’re also allowed to eat veggies. However, there’s one trick: you should avoid veggies that contain a lot of carbs and sugar. The best option is to consume green leafy vegetables, as they’re a great source of vitamins and antioxidants, and they’re the healthiest of all vegetables.
- The Keto Box – The Keto Box offers 10+ Keto snacks that will be delivered to your doorstep every month. These monthly boxes are not customizable, but each one has different types of snacks specified for different months.
- The Definitive Guide to the 3-Day Military Diet – Also called the 3-day diet, the military diet is a weight loss program based on eating low-calorie meals. You must follow a 3-day meal plan and then have four days off where you eat low-calorie meals. One can repeat this weekly plan until one achieves desired weight loss goals.
Food to avoid
As we already mentioned, you should avoid food that has a lot of carbs or a lot of sugar. In some cases, that’s obvious – everyone knows that they should limit sweets. But sometimes carbs are less subtle and some of the foods from the list may surprise you. If you truly want to experience all the benefits, you should try to completely cut out carbs, at least for a while. The good news is that the keto diet contains many alternatives for carbs and you’ll be able to make all your favorite recipes, with a few simple modifications. Here are the things you shouldn’t eat while on the keto diet:
- Sweets – The first thing to eliminate are sweets that contain a lot of sugar, which mean almost all snacks, cakes, ice creams and so on. Here’s the good news: there are a lot of delicious keto snacks that you can consume. They’re healthy, they don’t have carbs or sugars, but they often taste even better than other snacks!
- Fruit – Unfortunately, fruit contains a lot of glucose, and it will prevent you from achieving ketosis, which is the base of a keto diet. You should eliminate all fruit from your diet, except for avocado, as it contains more healthy fats than sugar.
- Wheat – Wheat products contain way too many carbs, and they’re not even healthy, so you should eliminate them. It means no white bread, no pasta, no rice, no even to things like your morning cereals. The good thing is that, again, there are keto-friendly alternatives.
- Root vegetables – Although many people think that all vegetables are healthy, root vegetables actually contain a lot of carbs and sugar. Not to say that they are unhealthy, but they won’t help you lose weight. In the first place, you should eliminate potatoes and carrots from your diet. If you usually put them in your soup, don’t worry. There are excellent recipes to make keto soup, which you may like even better.
- Soda – Even if you cut out all carbs from your diet but continue drinking soda, you won’t make a lot of progress. That’s because soda contains a lot of carbs and sugars. No sugar soda can be even worse, as it contains a lot of unhealthy sweeteners and chemicals.
It’s all about balance
The keto diet doesn’t mean you have to eat the same things over and over. It’s about balance, and you can prepare all your favorite meals, with a few modifications. For best results, it may be a good idea to follow a diet plan, which will also make it easier for you because you won’t have to worry whether you’re doing it right or wrong. If you’re not sure whether you are consuming all essential nutrients, you can always opt for keto supplements that can help you stay in balance.
- The 28-Day Keto Challenge – The 28-Day Keto Challenge is a well-crafted plan that gets you through your first month. Simply follow this plan and you will succeed.
Everything depends on your metabolism, but generally, it takes less than a week to see the first results. If you follow the rules of the keto diet, you can reach ketosis as soon as two to four days from the beginning. Some people may need up to eight days, especially if they have been eating a lot of carbs for years and they have a slow metabolism. Even if you don’t see the results immediately, it’s important to stick to the diet, and you’ll soon be amazed.
Rules of the keto diet are so strict, because all it takes is one cheat meal loaded with carbs, to stop your ketosis. Simply, when you consume carbs, your body will stop burning your fat, because it’s easier for your body to burn carbs and sugars. That’s why it’s important to stick to the diet and completely avoid carbs. However, even if you eat something that stops your ketosis, don’t worry. All you have to do is start over, and you’ll reach ketosis within two to seven days.
This depends on your metabolism, but also on your height and weight. It’s a general rule that you should consume less than 20 gram of carbs per day if you want to make sure you stay in the state of ketosis. To make it easier, we will illustrate what does it mean 20 gram of carbs. For example, one small plate of pasta dish contains 20 gram of carbs, while larger plates contain even more, up to 50 grams.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?